Gay Men Of Color Club | Join Now!

Group Discussions, Blogs, Chat Rooms and More!

According To Anthony | Exclusive Articles

Exclusive Articles and more!

Gays Speaking Out | Open Discussions

Exclusive Group Dicussions!

One On One With Anthony | Interviews

One On One With Anthony Interviews
Sign in to follow this  
JustBeingAnthony

Exclusive Interview With PoeticDrugs ItsDeonn DE7EN_MUA: Black Gay MUA's You Need to Check Out Today!

74649501_1971494186329264_7396536760154318765_n.thumb.jpg.befced9059d1ea21a6d202ab4647968f.jpg

Exclusive Interview With @PoeticDrugs @ItsDeonn @DE7EN_MUA | Black Gay MUA’s You Need To Check Out Today!

0535faa53d30c15b4a0eeb6bff675b0a.png

I have nothing but loveee and admiration for Black Gay MUA's! I think so many black men (regardless of their sexuality) who work in the beauty industry are often underrated and overlooked. When it comes to the industry MUA's are at the top of the entertainment world.

They beat faces for the GAWDS and they also showcase beauty in so many creative ways. How can we not love and support these men?

DtNmw41VYAA5yS4.jpg

CREDIT: Victor Ramos @vicmram

Whenever I'm on IG I always look at @poeticdrugs and all of the other black gay MUA's pages for their creativity.

Makeup is an art form, but it's also a way of life! For a lot of these men, makeup is therapeutic and also a way of expression. Everybody's purpose is different but one thing we can all agree on is the fact these men are GIFTED in the art of beauty.

I reached out to a couple of black gay MUA's online and asked them to do this exclusive interview. I TRULY don't feel like these men are always supported outside of the make-up community. I feel like we should be embracing them in our community more often. While the girls and straight folk admire all the Beyonce's and Rihanna's of the industry. I feel like we really do forget the MUA's in our community who paint their faces and give the girls LIFEEEEE.

img_2537-1.jpg

gsgsghsgs.png

@poeticdrugs

Hey, thanks for doing this interview. I would love to start off speaking about how you’ve had some pretty major publications showcase your work. How has all of this newfound fame and experience been for you?

@poeticdrugs My experience has been super smooth than most male black MUAS like me. I think it’s been easy because I’m usually the 1 black guy that makes the blogs “ diverse "

Could you please go down the list of a couple of achievements for some of my readers, who may not be familiar with your work?

@poeticdrugs I would say one of my achievements is making black males in the makeup industry more visible. I’m not the inventor of highlight, but i brought highlight to the face front of makeup. I’m the king of highlight!

PERIODDDDDDD! FACTS... I would agree because your talent speaks for itself. When did you get your start as an MUA?

@poeticdrugs I started 2015 just being normal taking pictures and one day a pic went viral out of nowhere. I slightly knew because i wanted to become huge, so that drove me to the top and in perfect timing, i don’t regret any sacrifices i had to make at all.

If you could list 10 other black gay MUA’s who would make the list?

hjdhdh.png

@poeticdrugs Stahr Milan has to be number one even if you think he’s problematic or generally doesn’t like him. He was the first that every little black boy watches me included. @vicmram @heflawless @antoniobeauty @kam_lester @varijstylez @neonmua @izzyrray @lamaranthony_ @malikrichie @bronzemarley @barbiegutz All of them are amazing and there are many many more.

Yessss!!! I love Stahr Milan! I love his realness! If you could give the up and coming black gay MUA’s (who will be coming up after you) some advice, what's one major piece of advice you would give them?

@poeticdrugs Be yourself, what you can get do it today don’t wait until tomorrow. Don’t be that 60yr old gay wishing you would’ve did something. You only get one shot. Do makeup for you! If they hate, make them like it. Makeup has no instructions.

eddfggd.png

That's SOLID advice and also some gems!

One last question before we end the interview...

Where do you see yourself in 10 years from now and also for your brand?

@poeticdrugs I see myself happy and i see myself accomplishing everything i want even if i have $0 in the bank. My brand is going to be so huge i can’t even say because it’s too out of the box to imagine!

Follow Poetic Drugs On Instagram / Twitter / YouTube Channel

ffbbbs.png

@ItsDeonn

tenor-1.gif

Heyyy Deonn! How long have you been doing make up for? 

@ItsDeonn Well, I’ve been doing MY makeup for 2 years now. Just like every guy that gets into makeup, i started out w/ brows & literally only did that for a year, until i came across & full-face beauty boy who looked like me  & i was intrigued to do more!

You took your time, that's the best way of learning because practice does make perfect.

One question I have that often pops up in my head a lot when it comes to black gay men of color in beauty.

Dating and relationships seem to be hard for most of us, but I could only imagine how complicated it has to be could be in our extremely hyper-masculine community as most of us are surrounded by men who often reject feminine men or what they deem as effeminate.

How would you describe your dating life while being open, bold and owning your glam lifestyle?

@ItsDeonn My dating life while being open & “Owning My Glam Lifestyle”. I honestly feel like personally, under the hundreds of layers of makeup that i pile on my face, I’m just as confident barefaced. That can intimidate a lot of people. Especially in the gay community. Even more in the black gay community.

A lot of us, [me included] judge off of what we see. You see a gay guy in full glam, turning Looks & stunting pretty & you assume that he’s probably hella feminine or wears makeup to cover insecurities or wants to be a woman. People’s first thought isn’t, he loves the artistry which is makeup and beauty. W/ all of that being said, my love life (at the moment) is on a standstill. People are intimidated by confidence while dating so until i meet someone who matches my confidence & self-assurance... I'm single... 💅 

I think men who wear makeup are fucking sexy as hell. Let's speak about dealing with society as a whole. Have you ever been out in public and experienced any harassment or maybe even ”dl” men trying to get at you?

@ItsDeonn I’ve experienced harassment as a gay man, not primarily for wearing makeup. I mean I’m sure that would add to homophobes disliking me. But one thing about me. I’m from the Westside of Chicago. If someone wants to come for me, BITCH YOU HAVE TO COME FOR ME! Period! And the topic of DL men... we all have experienced them or are currently experiencing them & I’ll leave that at that! 😂 

ghjhgss.png

Eggzactly! What inspires you the most when it comes to makeup, glam, and feeling you're inner sexy with a beat face?

@ItsDeonn What inspires me is to see people who look like me, WIN! It’s so uplifting & motivating! Us as “Black Beauty Boys” get overlooked by sooooo many, so to see one of my peers excited that a brand reposted them or they got alike from their fave influencer motivates me to want to do the same. Underdogs motivate me! Especially ones dipped in chocolate w/ blinding highlight. And i make sure i give kudos when i see these things happening. You can be the one person who someone is looking for recognition from & to do that, it can make them feel the best ever. Even “sexy” i guess.

What’s the biggest misconception you think black gay men (feminine or not) get about wearing makeup?

@ItsDeonn That we’re hiding insecurities or think we’re some sort of ugly.

If you could list 3 other gay make up gurus who has inspired you to get into makeup who would they be and why?

@ItsDeonn Easy! 

1. Stahr @StahrMilan, first boy that I’ve ever seen in makeup who helped me realize that boys can wear makeup too & if someone has an issue w/ it, that’s that person’s own issue. In addition to keeping his friends who sparked the same interest close to him.

2. Vari @VariJStylez, as i got deeper into makeup & wanted to learn about complexion products & face shapes & came across Vari who has the same skin type as me. Same eye shape like me. And we’re the same shade in EVERYTHING. And what i love the most about him is how humble he is. Bro literally gains 5000 followers per week, but i can personally say, that whenever i message him about anything makeup related, i get a response instantly. Even though we’ve never met. I feel like I’ve known him for years just from social media.

3. Mark/Poetic @1poeticdrugs, literally as “extra” as people say he is. I’m gonna keep this short. He’s literal “Reaction Goals” to me. As shocked as he makes people. Inspires me. As angry as he makes people. Inspires me. As inspiring as he is to people. Inspires me. As much as he rides for BLACK BEAUTY BOYS. Inspires the hell out of me! And he’s the king of turning looks on these hoes! Excuse my language. Literal makeup looks inspo.

ghhssgs.png

What advice would you give gay men who may want to get into makeup but fear of being judged?

@ItsDeonn My advice is, you’re already getting judged for being gay. Might as well get judged w/ a snatched brow & a fluffy/wispy lash. Find someone or something that inspires you & in the words of RuPaul, “YOU BETTER WORK!!!!!”

Do you feel like there’s a lot of competition among the glam community when involving gay men? If so, why?

@ItsDeonn To be honest, i don’t think it’s too much competition per-say. But i do think that it’s a lack of support from one another.

Follow Him On Twitter / Instagram 

vbbxb.png

@De7en_MUA

De7en THANK YOU for doing this interview! You were one of the first MUA boys I hit up over A YEAR AGO and we had some setbacks. Thank you for being so understanding! 

@De7en_MUA Hey babes!! I’m so excited to do this interview with you!!

I am too!!! 

The first question is what is your day-to-day life as a black gay MUA?

Second question: how do you describe your signature makeup look?

@De7en_MUA Day-To-Day life for me as an MUA is very interesting, it’s a very creative lifestyle but it can also be creatively draining! Artist block is real if you don’t take breaks! But other than that, it’s a fun-filled roller coaster full opportunity!!

My signature look is very editorial, I love the minimal product on my skin but I love an artist pop on the eyes and lips!

Who was the first gay MUA you discovered online and how did they influence you to want to become apart of the beauty industry?

@De7en_MUA The first MUA I discovered was Patrick Starr! To this day he is my favorite person! His positivity and humor inspired me more than anything! Patrick is never in drama, he’s also focusing on his craft and working hard to inspire others! Love him!

Shout out to Patrick Star who is doing the damn thing!!!

Tell us the first biggest mistake you made when you first got started with makeup?

@De7en_MUA My biggest mistake was thinking I knew exactly what I was doing when I first started playing in makeup! But of course, you have to make mistakes and learn from them to become the best version of yourself!

Let's talk about dating and having an actual love life as a black boy in the beauty industry. How has dating been for you since being open with your glam and makeup?

@De7en_MUA Actually I’ve been in a strong relationship for 4 years now as an MUA! It wasn’t that hard for me while dating because I wasn’t into mac guys believe it or not! [Tbh] I love fem or verse guys! Let’s start a trend! #fem4fem 😉

FEM4FEM! That's a topic we have to do SOON!

My next question for you: Why do you think gay feminine men get such a bad rep in the community?

@De7en_MUA I think we get a bad rep because a lot of gay men want hyper-masculine men, they see us a weak! But honestly, I think there’s more strength in being openly fem! Fem guys go through more on their journey than masculine men because masculine guys merge in with society’s expectations! Fem guys don’t. If you’re confident as a fem man that’s saying a lot about you! I find it attractive!

Have you ever been out in public and experienced any harassment or maybe even "DL" men trying to get at you?

@De7en_MUA I’ve experienced bullying in high school but no harassment as an adult. I’ve dated a DL guy once, it didn’t work because I told him I wouldn’t be his secret! I’ve never dated another DL man after him, a very uncomfortable situation!

Tell us the craziest story of you being out in public in a full beat face and people's reaction to your beauty?

@De7en_MUA Oddly enough, there hasn’t been any crazy situation with me being in public with a beat face! I’ve never had any altercation with anyone about it.

Why do you think people are so judgmental of gay men wearing makeup?

@De7en_MUA Society shows us that makeup is for women ONLY! I think once we advertise more men wearing makeup, ppl won’t judge as much!

2456.png

How did your family and friends feel/react discovering your interest and love for makeup?

@De7en_MUA It was a shocker to my family but they accepted it, my mom and grandma always told me “You don’t need that mess, you look handsome without it.” But as time went by they became very supportive once they saw the opportunities I was getting for doing it!

Outside of doing makeup, what other hobbies would you consider on top of your list?

@De7en_MUA Outside of makeup I’m heavily into gaming, anime, and lofi music! One day I would love to produce my own video game and anime! I would also like to own a lofi music lounge/bar!

SO INTERESTING DEF MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

What do you honestly love the most about doing makeup or working on other people's makeup?

@De7en_MUA I love doing my makeup because of it reliefs a lot of stress! I’m not into doing makeup on others anymore, I kind of fell out of love with it. But I’m deeply in love with doing my own makeup!

What inspires you the most when it comes to design and glam and feeling your inner sexy?

@De7en_MUA Runway inspires me most! Everything on the runways screams confidence! All of the makeup looks are simply incredible while also being minimal!

What frustrates you the most about the beauty industry and guru culture?

@De7en_MUA The beauty industry a guru culture doesn't accept black men, we don’t get the same deals or opportunities as our white counterparts! [Tbh] as long as you’re not black you can make it far! Not one black guy has had their collaboration with a brand on his own!

What separates you from other gay MUA’s and also what's one thing you could say that many of you have in common?

@De7en_MUA I think my individuality separates me from others, there’s only one Devin! No one can be me or do what I do! But one thing we all have In common is our desire to be heard and seen! All artists want recognition for their hard work!

Do you feel like there’s competition in the glam community when involving gay men? If so, why?

@De7en_MUA I do think our community can be competitive just like any other community! But I feel like everyone needs to accept the fact that we are our own competition! You should compete with yourself, especially in this industry! Focus on yourself!

MUA'S are pretty popular in the beauty world and on social media. Do you think black gay MUA and guru's get the support they deserve?

@De7en_MUA No, black gay guru’s are highly overlooked! For one, we are black, and also we are men! That’s two strong strikes against us! We have to fight extremely hard for our opportunities!

What’s the biggest challenge for you as a gay man who loves makeup?

@De7en_MUA My biggest challenge is getting opportunities that I could only dream of! It’s really hard for me to partner with brands or even get recognized by brands!

If you could describe one signature look what would that be for you and why?

@De7en_MUA Homes, one signature look would be the natural look! I love makeup that looks like you’re not wearing anything but perfect skin! I think the beauty community crams full glam down our throats too much because the average person usually asks for the natural look!

If you could come up with your own cosmetics line what would you call it?

@De7en_MUA It would be called “Amour Cosmetics”! It’s French for the word love.

What’s the biggest misconception you believe most gay MUA’s deal with often?

@De7en_MUA People think we all do makeup on others, and all of us don’t.

2456-1.png

What are your top ten beauty tips for gay men who want to experiment with the art of makeup?

ghhbsssgs.png

@De7en_MUA Tips-

1. Don’t be afraid to go to make up counters and ask for help.

2. Practice skincare just as much as makeup.

3. Don’t be afraid to wear makeup in public.

4. Instagram makeup is NOT real-life makeup.

5. It’s ok to do a natural beat.

6. There will be trials and errors on your journey to perfection.

7. Make sure you brush the product out of your beard if you have one.

8. Do not get into makeup because you want instant gratification or popularity.

9. Don’t pay attention to the likes or views.

10. It doesn't matter who doesn’t like it, make sure you like it!

Top three pieces of advice you would give gay men who have never done makeup but may be interested in getting involved in the beauty industry for fun or professionally (gay or straight?)

5ghhd.png

@De7en_MUA Top 3:

1. Dive into your craft head first!

2. Practice on yourself or anyone who will allow you to do so!

3. Try to work at Sephora, it’s literally boot camp for beginners!

If you could work with any celebrity who would it be?

@De7en_MUA I would love to work with Rihanna!

Where do you see yourself in the next ten years of your career?

@De7en_MUA In the next ten years I see myself with a very respected career, I see myself being very well known and also branching off into other things!

Tell us the moment you knew you had “arrived” in the world of BEAUTY?

@De7en_MUA I knew I had arrived when I got recognized by Anastasia Beverly Hills multiple times and also got added to their PR list!

My last question for you, What is your beauty philosophy?

@De7en_MUA My beauty philosophy is Beauty is on the inside, let the inner you shine!

Follow him on Twitter, Instagram, and Youtube!

signaturegif1.gif.4123e698d590b4eb76e32b7bd0e5c759.gif
it’s a vibe it’s a mood 😛😜